HOMES and businesses in an Isle village have been left without a phone and internet connection after thieves stole almost a mile of copper cable.
More than 80 properties were affected after 1,400m worth of cable was stolen from underground in West Butterwick in the early hours of Sunday morning.
It is the fourth cable theft affecting the village in the last two years.
BT said its engineers were on site assessing the damage and working on the “quickest route to restore service”.
Humberside Police and BT have appealed for anyone who saw suspicious activity in the area to contact the force.
BT said there had been a total of 23 cable thefts in the DN17 postcode area in the last two years and a special task force had been set up in February 2010 to deal with the problem.
- MP gives her backing to Bawtry business
- X-Factor star to judge Doncaster schools talent show
- Doncaster Rovers: Rochdale clash set for Capital One Cup first round
- Blaze at cannabis factory
- Transfer rumours June 14: Doncaster Rovers, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Barnsley, Rotherham United, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Epworth
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 11 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West